Saturday, December 6, 2008

Stitches

With 4 boys, the oldest of which is 13, I felt pretty accomplished- no broken bones or stitches. I'm sure those of you that know what monkeys our boys are would agree.

Well, Wednesday, that ended. The boys were playing while I was working on the computer. Then, Ian says, "Mom, you need to look at this." Since it's typical for him to freak out over every little scrape, I kept typing and asked what was wrong this time. Rion came around the couch with blood spreading across the left side of his face. I quickly aborted my work, picked Rion up and went to the bathroom. Luckily, after this many years of motherhood I've come to know that head/face wounds bleed A LOT. Add to that a 3 year old that keeps trying to wipe it away and I decided to get him cleaned up before I totally freaked.

Rion was crying but his brothers were in hysterics. Ian was the worst because he was the one that came around the corner too fast, running into the glider Rion was hiding behind. While cleaning the little guy, I tried to convince Ian that accidents happen and Sammy that Rion was really going to be ok. Rion, trying to be a big boy, even started to tell his brother's, "I a'right. It's just an owie." I got him mostly cleaned up and the bleeding down to more of a slow ooze than flow. I called the doctor to make sure this was an ER worthy injury. They said to take him right in. I made a couple of calls to make arrangements for the other two. Then I called William. I realized after I got to the hospital that all I said to him was, "Can you cancel your UIL practice after school and meet me at Cook's ER?" He said he could and I said, "OK, good." I then hung up the phone and walked out the door. He had no idea what was going on until he got to the hospital.

Rion was such a big guy in the ER. He was happy and friendly to everyone. He tried to make the sad girl behind us in the waiting room smile. The wound tech. and child life person were great. Rion never cried while there. He whimpered a little when they were numbing his eyelid/brow. But he used his words and told the tech to slow down. He ended up with 6 "string bandaids". I called them stitches once while there and got one heck of a dirty look.

Here's a close up without the bandaid. In true little boy fashion, he's very proud of the fact that he's the first of his brothers to get "string bandaids."
Posted by Picasa
Thanks to Jodi for getting Ian where he needed to be, Mom & Dad for watching Sammy and Ginney for helping me refocus (as usual) and being the photographer.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Now you can proudly call yourself a mom of three boys. :)

It's great how surprising little boys can be. Rion is one great kid. As of course Ian for being so concerned for his brother and worried about his role in it. I am always so proud of my little cousins. And kudos to mom. It take one skilled and talented mom to handle three boys at once during such a situation.

Though, my comment would not be complete with out accolades to William for being such a supportive husband. Instead of playing 20 questions he knew you needed him and was ready and present. What an AWESOME family dynamic.

Love you all.

P.S. my verification word is dangl... like dangle as a dangling piece of skin that needs to be string bandaged back together (btw was it the nurse that gave you the ugly look?).

Gin Gin said...

Wow, I have to add to those kudos for Wm. Paul would have FREAKED if I did that. lol

I can't believe that ya'll have never had to go in for bones or stitches before this. I guess it's God's way of evening things out since you have to go for other stuff more than your share.